Monday, July 21, 2008

CUDDLES!!!!



Wow, we've come a long way! In those early days our cuddles were terrifying, for Kaitlin too I think. A confusion of wires, tubes and needles, she was a three nurse job to get out of the incubator and settled into our arms. I will never forget how fragile her skin and tiny bones felt on my chest and under my fingers. I wanted so badly to hug her tight but I was too frightened to move and overwhelmed with emotion and awe. The closest I could come to rubbing her back was running my little finger down her tiny spine. Then Kaitlin would decide she had had enough and stop breathing so three panicked nurses would try to hide their panic and get her back in the incubator to revive her.
Fast forward 21 months and cuddles are sooo much better now. We absolutely love cuddles in this family and try to have them as often as possible, usually with lots of tickling and rolling around too. Now Kaitlin wraps her arms around my neck and rests her head on my shoulder and whispers secrets. Heaven. Even if I do have to avoid the odd (accidental?) punch in the nose or kick in the tummy! Was she ever really that tiny and delicate?

No comments: