Wednesday, August 20, 2008

BACK AND BETTER THAN EVER!





Humungous apologies for my total slackness in blogging, we havent fallen off the face of the earth, but 3+ weeks in hospital sure felt like it!! Turns out that mummy knew best after all and after anaesthetising Kaitlin and getting her on the table for her peg surgery, the doctors discovered that her wrap in her stomach HAD come undone and she WAS INDEED REFLUXING!!! Hmmm I only tried to tell the professionals that for about a month but you know, they are the experts. Anyway Kaitlin had to go to recovery and go to the High Dependency Unit because putting these kids to sleep for surgery can be risky. Between her setting off every alarm possible constantly and only an armchair for me to sleep in, it was a long couple of nights. The whole time we were in hospital Kaitlin pulled the most impressive breath holding purple/blue spells I have seen for a while. While Wayne and I are used to these and just deal with them, the hospital staff got so worked up, nervous and stressed (and told me they were anxious and stressed) and called her a phenomenon, and were like "Oh my god how do you ever sleep and not worry?" that after about two weeks of this I was thinking to myself "how do we sleep?" "Should we sleep?" "are we too laid back?" and got myself into a bit of a tizz. We were then told that no one was willing to put her to sleep for the two major operations because she was too risky, and we would have to wait a couple of weeks and see if she got any more stable. This was a catch 22 cos she wasn't going to get more stable untill she had the surgery I pointed out. Yes they said it is a problem. Anyway the next day they said OK we will do it tomorrow, we have found an anaesthetist courageous enough to give it a go. EXCUSE ME!!!! GIVE IT A GO???? That is my one and only precious baby you are talking about, we will not be giving anything a go thank you very much!



I'm getting carried away with detail here when I know most people probably just want to see photos of the gorgeous one, so here we are: 31/2 weeks in hospital, dozens of blue spells, anaesthetised twice, two surgeries, one g-tube, tons of crying (both of us), plenty of morphine (only for Kaitlin unfortunately) and a messy sore wound for a week and four new teeth later. Phew! Our little soldierette is happier than ever now, recovering at her nan and grandads in Christchurch and delighting everyone with her smiles and quirky ways. Here are some photos of her catching up with her Uncle G this week.

No comments: